19 April 2010

Here come the floor plans!

I have been going for crits and listening to how other people and my lecturers perceive my building. It is really interesting to see the space through the eyes of other people. I had a design layout that 'worked' but i knew it wasnt IT! Mary critted the space, and desribed that the spaces seemed 'forced' into the building - mainly because I had my theatre in a diaginal posistion and thus causing strange and uncorftable angles.

Crits with Philip showed that I needed to address the entrance and circulation onto a main axis point and therefore open up the space. I changed the floorplans, working with the structural grid system (now - no longer have to remove columns) have have managed to achieve a multi-volume sapce through 6 floors where natrual light and ventilation can penetrate all the floors and areas. This meets a design requirement of my brief that all students in the studios and around the building space will be on display. So no matter where you are in the building, you will always have a visual link of the other students around, under and above you.